Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dairy Fermentation & More - Day 3

Here is my account of day three in the process of fermentation (both dairy and other things).

(5/14/07)
This morning I made porridge with the oats that I soaked in whey and water overnight. It took about 15-20 minutes total, but most of that time, I didn’t really have to do anything. I started by boiling 1 cup of water and ½ tsp. of ground sea salt. Once the water was boiling, I added the oats (which had doubled in size overnight). Then I turned the burner down to low to simmer them. I finished making lunches, started getting ready and came back 10 minutes later to stir the oats. I finished doing some other morning preparations and came back another 10 minutes later. They were done, perfectly moist and absolutely delicious. I put about ¾ cup of porridge in a bowl and topped it with pure maple syrup. Yum! (You can also cut the recipe in half if cooking for only one person and the cooking time will be reduced.)

This morning I also scooped the cream cheese from the cheesecloth, that had been sitting out all night dripping whey, put it in a clean jar and stuck it in the fridge. I put a lid on the separate jar with the whey in it and put it in the fridge too.

I took a taste of the cream cheese after it had had time to chill. It is really quite bland, not at all like the cream cheese that I am used to. The texture and consistency are perfect, just like cream cheese. But the taste just isn’t there. I will have to do some research to see if I can season it or anything to give it some flavor.

0 comments: