Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dairy Fermentation & More - Day 2

Here is my account of the second day doing dairy fermenation (and other fermentation) at home based on Sally Fallon's recipes:

I used 1 cup of my homemade yogurt in my smoothie this morning (Jordan Rubin’s Berry Smoothie recipe from The Maker’s Diet) and it was THE MOST DELICIOUS yogurt smoothie I’ve ever had! As Sally Fallon says in Nourishing Traditions, the homemade yogurt is not as thick as commercial yogurt. But, I have to admit, it is really good in smoothies!

Now on to Whey & Cream Cheese …

I’ve just started a batch of the above using 1 cup of the yogurt I made yesterday. The whey is already draining through the cheesecloth in the strainer. It will probably be tomorrow before my cream cheese and whey are done. With the whey I’ll be able to ferment fruits, veggies, beans, grains, etc.

I have also started a batch of piima cream (sour cream). I took ½ tablespoon of piima starter culture that I made yesterday and added it to about ½ pint of whole cream from Yoder (not ultrapasteurized). It is fermenting in the cupboard now for 24 hours. I’ll use it in my chili tomorrow night.

Soaking beans …

I’m soaking beans for chili tonight. I’ve never done this before. So, I’m experimenting a bit. I put 1 lb. of pinto and red kidney beans (dry and organic) to soak in a large bowl with equal amount of room-temperature water to the beans and added 2 tablespoons of my homemade yogurt to ferment/soak them. They should be ready for cooking after about 8 hours. However, Sally Fallon says 12-24 hours. I hope 8 hours will be enough.

Later …

I have hit a snag with my soaked beans for the chili. I soaked the beans for 8 hours then added them to the other ingredients for my chili (sans remaining water from soaking). It was apparent when I added them that they were going to need more water in order to simmer and expand. I added water, brought them to a boil and then reduced the heat to medium-low. I realized though, after referring again to the soaked-bean recipes, that I probably should have cooked the beans before adding them to the chili. This means my chili will take longer.

1 hour later …

I just checked the chili and it is sticking/scorching on the bottom of the pot–the beans mostly. I’ve added more water, as the other has been absorbed by the beans already.

In the meantime, while waiting on my chili, I am putting organic whole rolled oats to soak for our breakfast tomorrow. I’m trying Sally Fallon’s basic porridge recipe: 1 cup warm water, 1 cup whole rolled oats, 2 tablespoons homemade whey. Cover and let soak at least 8 hours and as many as 24.

I just sampled the piima cream and it delicious! More smooth and sweet than any commercial sour cream I’ve tasted.

3 hours later …

Ok, my chili has now been simmering for 4 hours. I’ve added a total of probably 6 cups of water since first adding the soaked beans to the chili pot. I guess next time I WILL COOK THE BEANS before using them in anything. Ha, learned my lesson there.